Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Teh comment thingy is not working

it won't let me comment on my own blog. LAME

Anyway, RE: the Harpy...

Hi Orlando! thanks for the links. i love Waterhouse so freakin much. Hadn't seen that particular work before.
Much of my recent birdly art is based on these fabulous creatures:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Vasnetsov_Sirin_Alkonost.jpg

Sirin being a form of Siren, and Alkonost (halcyon) the bird who rests on the Ocean's smooth surface - twin birds of Sorrow and Joy

1 comment:

  1. I had umpteen attempts to post that comment. Eventually I found a minor syntax error in the html I was using which caused the commenting process to fail but giving no indication as to the reason. It just looked like the Blogger comment system was broken. Aaahhh!

    Viktor Vasnetsov is new to me... Gamaun.

    JWW's Ulysses and the Sirens is in the National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne, Australia. Unfortunately they don't have an online shop selling prints of it and neither do the online poster sellers (like allposters.com) or I would surely have it on my wall. However I do have a poster of this...
    John Collier - Lilith (1892)
    ... a subject you've also covered. (I'm sure the use of classical and mythological subjects was a pretext for the Victorians to stare at pictures of naked women!)

    When I looked up Lilith expecting to find she was just Adam's first wife in Jewish mythology, I was surprised to find that there are many Lilith stories.
    Here's Laurie Anderson's: Langue d'amour.

    There's a guy from Bosnia and Herzegovina with a blog devoted to Dark Classical Art.
    You might be interested in his collection of 'Dangerous Women'.

    Orlando.

    ReplyDelete