Thursday, December 29, 2011

Inspiration

BORO!

(I'm shocked to say that Wikipedia has no wisdom to offer about this)

I first read about boro at Donna Watson's blog, layers

And there's more here and here (best photos)

Boro is a hand-sewing method of patching clothes and other textile goods, used in pre-industrial Japan.
As in, if you want fabric, you've got to spin the thread and weave the cloth yourself, and when it wears through as fabric generally does, you either create an entirely new garment, or work with what you've got.
Boro patching is an art form all its own, with a wise frugality. Much of the fabric is blue or indigo, like my old workpants I was inspired to improve.
the butt part seems to wear out first
the circled-with-stitches hole is where i stuck a boxcutter into my leg while cutting wine-red carpet for my van floor. No bloodstains, just paint

indigo fabric is supposed to be flame-retardant, so this is a good location for it; when things unintended happen to catch fire i generally stomp madly on them.


That was so much fun i moved on to my quilt. I made it the first year that Lily I moved back, and it's just too good to throw out.

absolutely ratty

So I've started sewing on my crazy patch squares that I had been waiting to make use of til I had a whole blanket's worth. Just a plain running stitch, with some backing fabric to hold back the groady parts.


if you look closely you can see little white stitches. After 3 days working at it I can feel them when I pinch needle between thumb &forefinger, a tired twinge in the muscle of my forearm. Nicely comforting.

No comments:

Post a Comment