Sunday, August 21, 2011

The Bible and Stuff

So this is an ongoing project for some of my friends that are "recovering Christians" so to speak, who have found that religion to be unpalatable, exclusionist, & generally not representative of their selves & souls.
So they won't be forever unmoored from what was a meaningful tradition during many of their formative moments, I'm going to point out some of my favorite Bible verses, the ones that ring true in my life. Winnowing the good from the bad is a life skill, so the next post on this theme will be the points i find most contentious & in need of updating & improving. That's right Sirs and Madams of my anonymous internet audience, I intend to start some arguments!

(cheering, tossing of hats into the ether)

I'm hoping the whole thing will be cathartic and healing. I once met an angry young man on the internets, could tell you all day long why he was shaking his fist at God, but hadn't yet got to the point of believing in anything else he could express. Here, maybe, are some raw materials from which to create.

 & there will be some fun bits, too, like when I was 6 years old and they told me Jesus would go everywhere with me if I believed in Him, so when I rode in the car I tried to buckle the seatbelt for Him so He wouldn't get killed if we had a wreck, even tho i didn't really think he could get killed but anyway I went to put His sealtbelt on, and this is the really crucial part of the story THE SEATBELT WAS FLAT AGAINST THE SEAT!!! Like there was nobody sitting there at all! I was OK with Jesus being invisible and all, but total incorporeality? my childish faith furrowed its brow and said Hmmmm...

And there are other hmm-inducing bits as well, like this which i found on Wikipedia:
....1982 book The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail,[8] in which they asserted:
The symbolic significance of Jesus is that he is God exposed to the spectrum of human experience – exposed to the first-hand knowledge of what being a man entails. But could God, incarnate as Jesus, truly claim to be a man, to encompass the spectrum of human experience, without coming to know two of the most basic, most elemental facets of the human condition? Could God claim to know the totality of human existence without confronting two such essential aspects of humanity as sexuality and paternity? We do not think so. In fact, we do not think the Incarnation truly symbolises what it is intended to symbolise unless Jesus were married and sired children. The Jesus of the Gospels, and of established Christianity, is ultimately incomplete – a God whose incarnation as man is only partial. The Jesus who emerged from our research enjoys, in our opinion, a much more valid claim to what Christianity would have him be.[8]
Copypasta is my favorite kind of pasta.  But please, discuss. These are big things and i wish to understand them.

No comments:

Post a Comment